This introductory course is essential learning for people who work, or would like to work, with children, adolescents and adults in the field of Orofacial Myofunctional Therapy therapy.
Held over four days, this course provides a comprehensive grounding in the core principles and skills of Orofacial Myology.
Upon completion of this course you will be able to identify myofunctional disorders and airways issues, diagnose tongue ties, treat thumbsucking, improve orthodontic outcomes and treat pain and range of motion issues with TMD patients.
Continuing and ongoing professional support is available to participants after completion of every Academy course.
This course contributes 28 scientific points towards your required hours of Continuing Professional Development.
Friday 31st March – Monday 3rd April, 2017
Crown Plaza, Coogee Beach, Sydney.
$2,650 (inc. GST)
- Day 1
- Introduction, definitions, scope of practice
- Influences on Orofacial Development
- Information to Assist in the Growth & Development of Babies in Their First Two Years of Life
- Cause and Effect of an Incorrect Swallow Pattern
- Importance of Tongue Position, Lip Seal and Tone
- Day 2
- Airways and importance – Interdisciplinary Approach
- Intra oral examination
- Extra oral examination
- Speech / Implications – Speech Pathologist
- Measurements and Intra / Extra oral examination workshop
- Day 3
- The Sucking Correction Program / Assessment / Treatment – (thumb sucking)
- Fingernail biting, dummy sucking
- Orthodontic Considerations
- The Adult Patient / Therapy Techniques / Facial Tone / TMD
- Lesson Plans /Lip Seal / Tongue Position / Posture / Nasal breathing lessons – (lesson plans – recap objectives: lip seal, tongue, posture, nasal breathing etc)
- Day 4
- Improving Tongue Tone and Function / Establishing the Correct Swallow (workshop)
- Correct Food / Liquid Techniques / Tone and Function of Support Muscle System / Improving Lip Tone (lessons 4 – 8 / additional lessons workshop)
- Trouble Shooting
- Case Studies – Workshop
- Building Your Practice & Networking
- Review / Q & A