This introductory course is essential learning for people who work, or would like to work, with children, adolescents and adults in the field of Orofacial Myofunctional Therapy.
This course provides a comprehensive grounding in the core principles and skills of Orofacial Myology.
The first segement of this course will be pre-recorded and made available online in advance of the in-person segments to be held over 3 days from Friday 6th to Sunday 8th August, 2021.
Upon completion of this course you will be able to identify myofunctional disorders and airways issues, diagnose tongue ties, treat thumbsucking, improve orthodontic outcomes and treat pain and range of motion issues with TMD patients.
Continuing and ongoing professional support is available to participants after completion of every Academy course.
28 contact hours
$2,650 (inc. GST)
Friday 6th - Sunday 8th August, 2021 (First segment will will be pre-recorded and made available online in advance of the in-person segments)
Day 1 - Online, in advance of In-Person segments, then 3 days at Stamford Hotel, 111 Little Collins St, Melbourne VIC
- Day 1 (On-Line)
- Introduction, definitions, scope of practice
- Influences on Orofacial Development
- Cause and Effect of an Incorrect Swallow Pattern
- Frenums (labial and lingual), definitions, current research, treatments, protocols & assessments
- Day 2 (In-Person)
- Airways – Interdisciplinary Approach
- Frenums - Assessment Criteria
- Frenums - Workshop
- Intra and extra oral examination
- Demonstration - Spots and Lip Meters
- Anatomy - Face Painting
- Day 3 (In-Person)
- Photography and Records (assessment and measurement forms)
- Photography, measurements and Intra / Extra oral examination workshop
- The Sucking Correction Program / Assessment / Treatment – (thumb sucking)
- Lesson Plans /Lip Seal / Tongue Position / Posture / Nasal breathing lessons – (lesson plans – 1 to 4)
- The Adult Patient / Therapy Techniques / Facial Tone / TMD
- Information to Assist in the Growth & Development of Babies in Their First Two Years of Life
- Day 4 (In-Person)
- Orthodontic Considerations
- Case Studies – Workshop
- Improving Tongue Tone and Function / Establishing the Correct Swallow (Workshop, Lesson Plans 5 - 8 / Maintenance)
- How to Design a Program
- Additional Exercises
- Additional Case Study
- Q & A
The Australian Academy of Orofacial Myology reserves the right to cancel any course or portion thereof if needed. If we have to do this, you will be contacted and we will organise a refund of part or all of your registration fee. Should you need to cancel your course registration, please just notify us in writing by sending us an email.
Unfortunately due to the significant costs incurred when planning these courses, the following cancellation fees apply per attendee as below, and will be deducted from any refund due:
- Cancellations outside 14 days will incur a $300 cancellation fee.
- Within 14 days of course date: 50% of course fee.
- Within 96 hours of course start time: 100% of course fee.